Monday, September 9, 2013

Altered School Supplies

I was very excited to have my first Design Team Post for My Mind's Eye the other day and I thought I would share the project here too.  I was given the assignment to alter school supplies... kinda up my alley ;)  I used the Cut & Paste Flair collection, LOVE the colors and patterns in this one, will be using it a lot!

Every year I alter a notebook that I can use to jot down notes that come up through out the year.  This year I also altered some clips and used some Washi to create some 'teacher' or 'magic' pencils.  For some reason, when my students have a difficult time doing their work... magic pencils do the trick ;)

To cover the notebook, I think of it in terms of a large card or small scrapbook page.  Most of my projects have layering and some stitching so I need to create the panel first then when it is complete I adhere it to the notebook. 
I like asymmetry on my projects and for things to look like they just sort of fell onto the page so I play around with different items before permanently adhering them.  Then I just add bits and pieces here and there (stickers, brads, staples) until I like the look.
 

To cover the clips I just trimmed the paper to size and added a sticker.  So easy.


I added some SRM Stickers (Express Yourself - School) as they were perfect for the theme and then tied it off with some twine.





8 comments:

Jeanne said...

You did such a great job on these, Laurel.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

When I saw this on MME I literally sighed!! It is AWESOME!!! I loveeeeeeee what you did with those binder clips!!!

Annette Allen said...

awesome card.. i am totally loving that fun paper.

Angi Barrs said...

This is so fun! Love how you decorated the pencils too!

~amy~ said...

super FUN Laurel!

Ashley Horton said...

Love it Laurel!! Such a cute project!

Unknown said...

I love your theme projects...this one is gorgeous. Love the colors!

Rose said...

awesome!! i love the clips holding note paper :) you always come up with the funnest items!!!

01 09 10